Thursday, April 16, 2009

Buttermilk Syrup

My neighbor told us about Buttermilk Syrup the other day... and to be honest I thought it sounded gross. She was adamant that it was the best stuff EVER and insisted I try a spoonful.
She was right. This is DELICIOUS! It's great as a syrup, a glaze, by itself... my personal favorite has been with cinnamon rolls.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla

Heat sugar, buttermilk, & butter in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for a few minutes. Turn off heat, add baking soda & vanilla.

Refrigerate overnight (to let the soda calm down).

Reheat when you're ready to eat.

3 comments:

Ariel said...

THIS STUFF ROCKS!!!

whitneyingram said...

I have heard of this kind of syrup but have never seen a recipe for it. I will have to bookmark this one. Thanks for posting it!

Jen Beals said...

Ha, I made it on the website! Who knew I would ever have a recipe worth wanting!!