Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Alfredo Recipe

A huge thanks to everyone who answered Vickie's request for Alfredo Recipe's. This is the recipe that I've been using for years ~ and for what it's worth Vickie said it was great & her husband loved it.

2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 cups heavy cream
6-8 oz Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
Salt & White pepper to taste

Melt butter in pan over medium/low heat. Add garlic. Add flour & whisk constantly for a minute or two (to cook out the flour taste). Slowly pour in cream while whisking, allowing to thicken before adding more. Melt in cheese & season with salt & pepper to taste. Reduce over medium heat, stirring constantly, until you reach your desired consistency.

Sometimes I use 3 Tbsp of Butter, or else go a little shy on the flour. When I add too much flour it doesn't really dissolve and my sauce has a gritty texture.

I always buy a brick of Parmesan cheese & shred it myself. There's much more flavor than a bag of soft/pre-shredded cheese. If you buying it out of the diary/cheese section Frigo & Private Selection aren't bad. I'd rather buy a nice aged/hard brick from the deli, but that is more expensive.

You don't have to use cream. Most of the time I just use whole milk, but I think the cream is much better.

White pepper doesn't make it taste different... I just don't like to see little black specs in my sauce.

No comments: